PM & his Manifesto Promise The Right Things - But It MUST Be Delivered
Fishing for Leave welcomed the PMs statement to the Commons today in reply to Owen Paterson’s question on fishing.
Saying; It is Great to hear Boris say that fishermen will be released from the EUs arcane quota system. Britain needs a policy that works with our mixed fishery environment.”
His statement and sentiment on taking back control of fishing reflects the welcome manifesto promises on fishing. Particularly the pledge to have FULL control of our waters.
Sentiment is one thing – delivery another.
Boris has a great chance to exorcise the ghost of Edward Heath that still haunts the Tory part. He MUST deliver or the Conservatives will never be forgiven for a 2nd deliberate betrayal of fishing.
Rendered even more bitter by squandering the opportunity of automatically taking back control on leaving by signing up to arrangements that would roll over, replicate or bind Britain to the CFP in any future trade deal to come
Fishing for Leave make no secret that we still bitterly oppose the deal due to the dangerous situation and obligations it puts Britain in – a position the government is going to have to fight hard to paddle back from.
The EU makes no secret that it demands a roll-over of current access & quota arrangements along with CFP associate membership as the price for any trade deal. The Political Declaration that the Withdrawal Agreement legally obliges Britain to ratify as the basis of any trade deal sets the government up for a sell out on fishing.
Where the UK will have to negotiate fishing “as part of the wider economic partnership” whilst agreeing “access and quota shares” all based on a “level playing field” and “non-discrimination”. The UK will be unable to impede freedom of establishment and therefore EU owned but UK registered ‘Flagships’ under Paragraph 29 of the Political Declaration. Conveniently Paragraphs 118-120 make provision for associate membership of EU policies.
To fulfil manifesto promises the government MUST ensure;
- We take back FULL control of all waters and resources within our EEZ.
- Have complete freedom from the CFP with unhindered ability to exercise exclusive sovereignty over our entire EEZ.
- NO roll over of current unlimited ‘equal access’ access and ‘relative stability’ resource shares.
- ANY agreement on “access & quota” shares as obliged by the Political Declaration MUST be on a strictly annual basis.
- ANY access or quota swaps must ONLY be granted when the UK receives a reciprocal value of fishing opportunities in.
- ANY fishing agreement must not negate a repatriation of the UKs rightful share of internationally agreed Total Allowable Catches (TAC) resources under the international principle of ‘Zonal Attachment’.
- ANY annual access must ONLY be granted when the EU recognises the UKs rightful Zonal Attachment shares.
- We are free to reinstate Mrs Thatcher’s ‘Economic Link’ conditions to curb Flagships and ensure UK vessels deliver genuine economic benefit to Britain.
- Have the freedom to ban electric pulse fishing and industrial fishing for Sandeels.
Nothing less will do!