REMAINERS ‘MISCONCEPTIONS’ ON CFP, BREXIT & FISHERIES
- “UK needs EU waters” – the EU catches 60% of the fish in UK waters – 674,000t – which the UK regains under international law of ‘zonal attachment’ upon leaving the EU & CFP. The UK catches 88,000t in EU waters. The UK gains 8 times more to what is lost.
- “CFP gives fair shares” – The UK contributes 50% of the waters to the EU common pot but receives only 25% of resources. Under ‘zonal attachment’ as an independent nation the UK should receive 61% of internationally agreed TAC resources based on fish distribution.
- “The UK ‘needs’ EU markets” – UK exports being in high demand coupled with EU losing 60% of fish caught in UK waters only increases EU markets dependency on UK fisheries further – many species cannot be sourced elsewhere.
- “Tariffs will ‘cripple’ fishermen” – As a rough illustration – if ALL UK catches were exported to the EU at max. 20% WTO tariff, the resources repatriated (approx. £3-4bn) would far outweigh & compensate for tariffs of approx. £1.2-1.6bn
- “The CFP is a bastion of sustainability” – EU quotas are wholly unsuited to UK mixed fisheries, forcing fishermen to discard 40-50% of catches to find species their quota allows them to keep. To catch double necessary to match quota rules is shamefully unsustainable and eschews a balanced harvest in line with nature.
- “UK was overfishing” – The EU CFP of “equal access to a common resource”, market minimum price intervention, & new build grants created an “overcapacity bubble”. The UK was unable to control our waters or policy to correct this.
- “EU ended overfishing” – Achieved by scrapping 60% of the UK fleet to address the problem the EU created! – Coincidence or conspiracy? Meanwhile other EU members continued to receive grants to build new vessels – ‘conservation’ was used as a guise for accommodation.
- “CFP increased fish stocks” – Stocks increased despite the incompetence of the CFP, the quota system & mass discarding – CFP achieved reduced capacity through total regulatory incompetency driving generations old fishing families from the industry not smart policy.
- “UK fishermen sold their quota” – That EU owned, UK registered, “Flagships” own 47% of England’s quota is a disgrace on governments subservience to the CFP and the EU 4 freedoms. Not UK family fishermen squeezed out by CFP whilst large EU fishing companies financial power allowed them to consolidate & buy out struggling UK fishermen.
- “Fishing isn’t economically important” – leaving the CFP & repatriating the 60% of UK fish the EU catches automatically doubles the industry to approx. £6-8bn. Ability to end unsustainable discarding & enact decent policy will see growth again. It is insulting & arrogance to disparage an industry, vital to coastal areas and food security which contributes to the overall economy, to suit an agenda of capitulating national independence to the EU.
REMAINERS – HAVE PRIDE IN YOUR PEOPLE & NATION – IT’S TIME TO FLOURISH GREAT & FREE!